Location: New Hanover Medical Group
Department: NHMG-Myrtle Grove Lab
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 0.900000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: ENTERSCHED - Please Select Schedule!
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
Works under the general supervision of the Lead Phlebotomist, Phlebotomy Coordinator or Laboratory Manager this employee draws blood from patients in the physician’s office or similar facility for analysis or other medical purposes.
1. Greet patient, check them into IDX, verify and release labs from Epic, verify procedure and check labs into the Laboratory Information System. Obtain ABN if needed
2. Assemble equipment such as tourniquet, needles, disposable containers for needles, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton, and alcohol on work tray according to requirements for specified test or procedures
3. Verify or record identify of patient or donor and converse with patient to allay fear of procedure
4. Apply tourniquet to arm, locate accessible vein, swab puncture area with antiseptic and insert needle into vein to draw blood into collection tube
5. Withdraw needle, apply treatment to puncture site and label and store blood container for subsequent processing
6. Prick finger to draw blood
7. Scan Waivers
8. Clean work area/stock
9. Help train new employees/students
10. Scheduling/rescheduling patients, no shows
11. Verifying orders are in Epic
12. Processing specimens and preparing for transporting specimens
13. Depending on location performs POC testing and Quality Controls
* High School Diploma
Experience: Completion of an accredited phlebotomy program or one-year of phlebotomy experience required. Experience related to customer service and quality patient care preferred. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.