We are looking for a Certified Surgical Technician for the Surgical Services at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
$10,000 Hiring Bonus for eligible external candidates who meet all conditions for payment - this is in addition to the fantastic benefits and compensation package offered by Providence that begin on your first day of employment.
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 72 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 12-hour, Days
Under direct supervision, prepares for operations of all specialists for neonate, pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients, and arranges sterile set-up of instrument table according to AORN and AST recommended practices and hospital policy and procedures, and universal precautions. Assists surgeons by passing instruments and supplies, holding retractors and anticipating surgeons' needs during course of surgery. Assists in cleaning and stocking the operating room and stores equipment and supplies according to equipment and supply directories. Is proficient in required competencies.
- Actively participates in department communications including attending report, receiving assignment and personal schedule. Follows SBAR (Situation Background, Assessment, Recommendation) communication when giving/receiving hand-off reports. Maintains open communication with Charge Nurse, using all available communication tools within the department.
- Prepares Operative Suite by utilizing disinfecting agent on work areas and assessing room cleanliness between cases. Collaborates with Circulating RN and Support Team to ensure equipment and supply needs are met.
- Prepares for scheduled operative procedure by reviewing instruments, sutures, supplies, and equipment for cases using physician preference card/pick list and reviewing special requests, when noted (i.e. daily OR schedule). Cases are picked completely, correctly, and appropriately following standard work established by the department.
- Arranges, opens, scrubs with personal protective equipment and sets-up sterile field following aseptic technique according to AORN standards. Performs initial counts (i.e. sponges, needles, instruments) and labels medications according to policy and procedure prior to the start of surgery. Demonstrates the ability to perform Core Competencies in each specialty, as indicated. Assist with positioning of patient, when needed. Actively participates in Time Out.
- Gowns and gloves surgeon and assistants. Drapes sterile field with surgeon and passes lines (i.e. suction, bovie, etc.) to Circulating RN. Remains vigilant in passing instruments, sponges, sutures, and other sterile supplies and equipment. Holds retraction devices placed by the surgeon. Anticipates and responds to surgeons’ needs during the course of surgery for all specialties. Initiates corrective action according to AORN recommended practices and hospital policy when breaks in aseptic technique occur. Maintains organized and tidy sterile field, ongoing wiping and cleaning of instruments and monitors sharps throughout the case.
- Receives surgical specimens, places in appropriate, labeled container using universal precautions, confirms with physician, and notifies circulating nurse source of specimen according to department policy and procedure. Clearly communicates implant data and medication usage to Circulating RN.
- Initiates closing counts according to policy and procedure. Prepares and assists with sterile dressing. Removes drapes and places them in trash/linen receptacles ensuring all instruments and sharps are accounted for. Cleans patient while maintaining their modesty and dignity. Remains in OR suite at the end of case to assist with safe patient transfer.
- Prepares instrumentation for transfer from OR suite to SPD per policy and procedure. Uses SBAR when communicating instrumentation status to SPD personnel. Prepares instruments for transport by ensuring instruments are free of gross blood and tissue. Handles equipment in such a manner to guard against breakage or damage while maintaining principles of universal precautions. Assists with room turnover to meet defined turnover time goals. Prepares for next scheduled case during room turnover.
- Collaborates with Circulating RN, Specialty Coordinators and surgeons in updating surgeons’ preference cards on an ongoing basis. Remove/return all equipment and unused supplies to designated locations.
- Utilizes educational resources and collaborates with peers to maintain and advance knowledge in surgical procedures, equipment, trends and techniques. Participates in mandatory department meetings and in-service programs. Reviews Daily Report and/or Communication Book.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills in analyzing problems and determining proper courses of action.
- Ability to prioritize and self-directed time management.
- Performs assignments made by Charge Nurses established by the Core Competencies.
- Ability to interpret schedule and prepare for operative procedures, knowledge of basic anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology.
- Ability to acquire necessary familiarity with surgeons’ preferences; be able to accurately identify large volumes of surgical instruments and supplies, and gain knowledge of unit policies and procedures.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to interact with patients, surgeons, and other patient care personnel, often during emergency situations.
- Analytical skills necessary in order to organize and prepare operating room according to standard methods and procedures.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when performing technical tasks and anticipating surgeons’ needs.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods (more than eighty percent of work time) and to occasionally lift and position patients when preparing patients for operative procedures. Manual dexterity necessary to grasp and hold firmly retractors and delicate surgical instruments.
- Proficient in required competencies upon completion of orientation and able to acquire and maintain core competencies on an ongoing basis (No assessment skills necessary for this position).
- Utilizes educational resources.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Coursework/Training - Certificate or proof of completion of formalized surgical technologist training program, including military training course.
Experience: 1 year Hospital experience as a Surgical Tech.
- Healthcare Provider level BLS Certification.
- CST, Certified Surgical Technologist within 6 months of hire, for hires after 7/1/2017.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Associate's Degree.
- 1 year OR experience in trauma facility.
- Experience in Orthopedics and Neurosurgery.
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Surgical Techs
Req ID: R356635