Performs routine and special clinical laboratory tests in one or more disciplines, including quality control and equipment maintenance to ensure accurate results. Assists with R & D activities and maintains quality control records. Assists in researching and resolving technical and operational problems.
Role Specific Competencies
- Assess the clinical significance of test results and takes appropriate action to ensure proper patient care and treatment based on accuracy of results.
- Consistently performs proficiency testing at an acceptable level.
- Documents critical results appropriately and in a timely manner. Prints and checks exception report at end of the shift for complete documentation.
- Ensures smooth transition from shift-to-shift. Completes communication logs at the end of each shift. Assures pending list is current. Checks email and shift logs each workday. Maintains a clean, well stocked work area. Participates in continuing education and staff meetings.
- Maintains compliance with hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Meets turn around time requirements, checks pending list frequently throughout the shift and monitors changes in hospital bedding needs. Notifies nursing units when turn around time will not be met in a timely manner and documents as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Performs and documents preventive maintenance on equipment. Troubleshoots and repairs equipment utilizing hotline service as needed. Repair calls are requested and documented as appropriate. Broken equipment to be repaired by BioMed or Plant Operations is correctly tagged and removed/called for removal to that department for servicing.
- Performs and documents quality control (QC ). Maintains QC records and prepares reports and recommendations for supervisor. Assess statistical trends and takes appropriate action according to Westguard rules. Documents actions taken.
- Performs laboratory tests according to procedure and in an accurate and timely manner.
- Properly documents specimen problems. Edits requisitions and results completely and accurately when needed.
- Receives and examines specimens, checking for specimen integrity, correctness and completeness of specimen requirements. Resolves discrepancies and prepares specimens for testing.
- Research and resolve technical and operational problems with minimal supervision. Assists with research and development of new test methods and equipment. Assist with procedure writing as directed in C LSI format.
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience in an acute care setting preferred.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or a related field from an accredited institution.
- MT (ASC P) or equivalent.
- Concentrate on moderate to fine detail for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to hear normal sounds and with some background noise.
- Remembers schedules, tasks to be completed and where activities left off, etc.
- Routinely lifts objects less than 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Understands and can operate from the conceptual basis of tasks and activities