Performs careful and accurate scientific work in multiple laboratory departments for a wide variety of laboratory procedures on specimens from patients of all ages, using both manual and automated methods. Demonstrates independent judgment and technical interpretation of test results and potential exceptions in the testing process. Serves as a technical resource for Level I Medical Laboratory Scientists and other laboratory staff. Performs routine corrective maintenance and troubleshooting for highly sophisticated instrumentation utilized within the laboratory.
· Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science or equivalent required.
· Medical Lab Scientist (ASCP) registration or equivalent certification required.
· Greater than one year experience as a medical laboratory scientist working in a high volume – high complexity laboratory required.
· Proven experience in interpretation and evaluation of laboratory testing, including problem resolution as well as clinical application.
· Effective trouble shooting skills for both ongoing instrumentation maintenance and troubleshooting functions to assure effective equipment performance.
· Light to moderate physical effort.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.