Medical Technologist, Microbiology - (210003GR)
Description The Medical Technologist - Microbiology will perform moderately complex to highly complex tests requiring the exercise of independent judgment and responsibility with minimal supervision. Will have the capacity to operate clinical laboratory equipment in the completion of automated and manual procedures. Technologist trained as one may be assigned to any area or combination of areas.
Bachelor's Degree Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology or equivalent related field of science. (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
1 year At least 1-2 years in an accredited clinical laboratory. (Required)
Required Licenses and Certifications
Medical Technologist (MT) Registry or eligible as MT (ASCP) .
- Performs Microbiology, Mycology, Virology, Molecular Diagnostics and Immunology procedures in accordance with established procedures and policies.
- Records and reports results; operates and maintains equipment; monitors quality control standards; evaluates new instruments and tests. Performs clerical and service duties as required.
- Cultivates, isolates and assists in identifying bacterial and other microorganisms present in body fluids, exudates skin scrapings or autopsy and surgical specimens. Performs various bacteriological, mycological, virological and parasitological tests to provide data on cause and progress of disease.
- Has in-depth conceptual and practical knowledge in own discipline and basic knowledge of related disciplines. Solves complex problems. Works independently; receives minimal guidance.
- May lead projects or project steps within a broader project or may have accountability for ongoing activities or objectives. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
- May lead projects or project steps within a broader project or may have accountability for ongoing activities or objectives. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. Will be required to rotate weekends and holidays and would be flexible in working the 3 shifts (day/eve/night) as needed.
- Report tests accurately in writing, orally and/or in the LIS; demonstrate knowledge of LIS.
- Follow established guidelines for reporting STAT results and critical values, properly documenting calls.
- Credit tests appropriately using correct workload exclusion codes
- Review testing logs and complete tests within shift.
Equipment Maintenance and Troubleshooting
- Perform equipment and instrument maintenance according to protocols.
- Follow recommended manufacturer's and/or department defined instrument performance checks and calibrations prior to testing.
- Troubleshoot and resolve basic instrument malfunctions following written guidelines
- Make adjustments or minor repairs with the aid of instrument manuals or technical service by telephone.
- Assist Medical Lab Technician in resolving problems.
- Monitor supply inventories in assigned areas to assure adequate availability; receive and stock supplies.
- Perform, evaluate and report QC protocol; identify and resolve QC failures; document resolutions.
- Assist MLT and LA with unresolved problems.
- Perform competency and proficiency challenges in a timely manner
- Responsible for efficient and cost effective use of supplies and reagents
- Assist in training of new employees
- Serve as a technical resource for Medical Lab Technicians and Laboratory Associates
- Write and update procedures as assigned
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Sheikh Zayed Campus
111 Michigan Avenue
Job: Allied Health
Organization: Patient Services
Position Status: R (Regular) - FT - Full-Time
Work Schedule: 7:30am - 4:00pm Mon - Fri w/ rotating wknds & hols
Job Posting: Feb 23, 2022, 10:25:27 PM