Location: New Hanover Medical Group
Department: NHMG-16th St Lab
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: MIXED HRS - Varied length shfts-Day-Eve-Nt
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
Works under the supervision of the Manager. Medical laboratory Technicians are responsible for the procurement of blood and analytical evaluation of blood and other body fluids. All tests must be performed with accuracy and precision. Medical Laboratory Technicians must have working knowledge of laboratory instrumentation including operation, maintenance and troubleshooting. They must perform and record data from quality control procedures. Medical Laboratory Technicians are expected to participate in the education program of the laboratory and must have the ability to make decisions and solve problems. The scope of patient care ranges from neonatal to geriatric patients.
1. Procures specimens and performs, and evaluates waived, moderately complex and highly complex laboratory analysis on blood and other body fluids.
2. Performs instrument maintenance, calibration, and troubleshooting procedures.
3. Performs quality control and proficiency testing procedures.
4. Assists Medical Technologists with investigating problems and unusual situations, recommends solutions.
5. Utilizes and laboratory computer systems in performance of daily tasks.
6. Participates in the Education Program both within and outside the lab to ensure the highest degree of competency within the established scope of patient care.
7. Assists in the implementation of new methodologies and procedures.
8. Participates in implementation of and compliance with standards set by the Medical Center and regulatory/accrediting agencies.
9. Interfaces with Medical Center personnel, physicians, staff from other facilities relative to test results.
10. Maintains adequate level of reagents/supplies to perform testing.
11. Provides assistance to other staff as needed.
12. Generates appropriate and required documentation of testing and support procedures.
* Med Lab Tech
* Associate Degree
Experience: None required. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.