Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Anatomic & Molecular Pathology
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR EVE - Most of shift btwn 3P-11P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
The histotechnician works under the supervision of the manager of Anatomic and Molecular Pathology and coordinator. The histotechnician performs a variety of complex techniques to preserve and prepare tissue specimens for microscopic examination and diagnosis by pathologist. The histotechnician performs specialized ancillary diagnostic tests for interpretation by the pathologist.
1. Collect tissue specimens from surgical and diagnostic services and/or receives tissue specimens from outside source for processing in the department.
2. Perform basic and advanced Histology procedures of processing, embedding, cutting, mounting and staining of tissue specimens for evaluation and diagnosis by pathologists.
3. Perform basic and advanced special staining procedures including special histochemistry and immunochemistry. Prepare solutions and reagents as necessary.
4. Operate, use, care, maintain and troubleshoot specialized histology equipment and instrumentation.
5. Perform clerical functions such as accessioning specimens and issuing charge codes; utilizes laboratory information system for recording and retrieving patient information.
6. Research, develop and adopt new procedures for routine use.
7. Comply with standards set by the Medical Center and regulatory/accrediting agencies.
8. Assist in writing, reviewing and revising of the histology procedure manual.
9. Perform cryosectioning techniques on tissue specimens for rapid diagnosis by the pathologist.
10. Prepare slides from quick frozen tissue specimens for rapid diagnosis by a pathologist.
11. Performs cytopreparation of routine cytologic specimens and fine needle aspirations.
12. Provide technical assistance and oversight of duties to technical assistants.
13. Demonstrate interpersonal skills while performing assigned duties.
* Histology Tech
* Associate Degree
Experience: 1-2 year experience is preferred. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.