The Phlebotomist collects, labels and receives specimens, and prepares them for laboratory testing. Performs data entry and manages requisitions. Answers telephone and assists Laboratory customers.
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- Accurately performs data entry in all applicable information systems in compliance with departmental and organizational policies
- Consults supervisor or Lab Leadership when appropriate if situation requires assistance
- Demonstrates knowledge of specimen collection techniques and requirements.
- Ensures positive patient identification, correct specimen collection and appropriate handling/transport; understands how specimen integrity affects laboratory results.
- Demonstrates the ability to respond to telephone inquiries and provide customer service to the end caller by addressing their needs and troubleshooting.
- Follows AIDET guidelines for customer service and patient satisfaction.
- Follows regulatory, accreditation, safety and hospital standards, policies and procedures. This includes but is not limited to proper hand washing, the handling of sharp and biohazard materials, and the use of PPE ( Personal Protective Equipment).
- Instructs, orients and mentors students, employees, patients and other health care providers as applicable.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of all supplies
- Participates in quality assurance and quality improvement activities
- Provides patients and/or care providers with accurate instructions and necessary materials for specimen collection
- Uses and wears PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as necessary to perform job duties safely and minimize risk
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum one year experience in specimen collection and processing and/or completion of a phlebotomy program
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required if the position requires traveling to different facilities
- Advanced level of skill in adult and pediatric phlebotomy