Provides translation services and support to patients and family members in clinical and non-clinical settings throughout the Health System’.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Provides support to patients and families by greeting patients, establishing trust, soliciting and interpreting concerns expressed. All information obtained must be interpreted for appropriate Health System team member so that concerns and issues are communicated and addressed. This includes assisting with the completion of forms, registration, etc.
- Anticipates and offers comfort measures for patients and significant others in their language and collaborates with physician, nurse or other Health System personnel.
- Provides interpretation between patient/significant others and members of health care team and/or Health System personnel; uses psychosocial principles to assist patients and their families; provides information and assistance as appropriate.
- Manages patient/visitor concerns by actively listening to the patient/significant other or family and directly follows up on any identified needs by communicating concerns to appropriate Health System personnel.
- Post high school training required.
- Evidence of education in psychosocial skills with one to two years’ experience in health care setting preferred.
- Must have significant experience dealing with the public.
- Basic understanding of medical terminology and health events desirable.
- Previous translation experience preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in foreign language and English in both written and oral forms.
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) or National Medical Interpretation Certification or its equivalent must be obtained within 12 months of hire.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands – Medium
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.