Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Lab - Core Lab
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-3P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
Works under the supervision of the Coordinator or Manager. Medical Technologists are responsible for the analytical evaluation of blood and other body fluids. All tests must be performed with accuracy and precision. Medical Technologists must have working knowledge of laboratory instrumentation including operation, maintenance and troubleshooting. They must perform and record data from quality control procedures. Medical Technologists are expected to participate in the education program of the laboratory and must have the ability to make decisions and solve problems. Medical Technologists assigned to the Core Lab serve a patient population of adults and geriatrics. Medical technologists must meet the requirements of general supervisor under CLIA 88 definitions and is responsible for performance of tasks identified in CLIA 88. Specifically, monitoring test analyses and specimen examinations to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained, assuring that all remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications, ensuring that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning, providing orientation to testing personnel and participating in the annual evaluations and documentation of competencies of all testing personnel.
1. May procure specimens. Performs, and evaluates waived, moderately complex and highly complex laboratory analysis on blood and other body fluids.
2. Performs instrument maintenance, calibration, and troubleshooting procedures.
3. Performs, evaluates and troubleshoots quality control and proficiency testing procedures.
4. Investigates and resolves problems and unusual situations. Ensures patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning.
5. Utilizes Medical Center and laboratory computer systems in performance of daily tasks.
6. Participates in the Education Program both within and outside the lab to ensure the highest degree of competency within the established scope of patient care.
7. Participates in the education and training of students from accredited programs and new employees.
8. Participates in the annual evaluations and documentation of competencies of all testing personnel.
9. Evaluates and implements new methodologies and procedures as assigned by manager.
10. Participates in implementation of and compliance with standards set by the Medical Center and regulatory/accrediting agencies.
11. Interfaces with Medical Center personnel, physicians, staff from other facilities relative to test results and procedure information.
12. Maintains adequate level of reagents/supplies to perform testing.
13. Provides assistance and direction to other staff as needed.
14. Generates appropriate and required documentation of testing and support procedures.
* Medical Technologist
* Bachelor of Science
Experience: 1 year training in an accredited medical technology program or 3 years experience in a laboratory under the direction of a board certified pathologist. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications. Blood Bank: MT (ASCP) or equivalent certification agency required, BB (ASCP) or equivalent
Microbiology/Immunology: MT (ASCP) or equivalent agency required, M (ASCP) or equivalent
Core Lab: MT (ASCP) or equivalent certification agency required.
Cape Fear: MT (ASCP) or equivalent certification agency required.
Note: Equivalent certification agencies may include NCA, military or state licensure if the employee is determined to meet the required education and related experience requirements as set forth in CLIA 88.