At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
***$5,000 Sign-on Bonus offered to New hires! (with a 12 month service commitment)
The Sonographer - Breast Center reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Sonographer - Breast Center performs diagnostic ultrasound procedures according to department standards and protocols. This role adheres to and fosters the "Patients First" philosophy and acts to advance the principle objectives to providing services with full respect for the dignity of the patient.
- Utilize equipment and accessories, employ techniques and procedures, perform services in accordance with an accepted standard of practice and demonstrates expertise in limiting the exposure to the patient.
- The ultrasonographer assesses situations, exercises care, discretion and judgment, assumes responsibility for professional decisions, patient education and acts in the best interest of the patient.
- The ultrasonographer acts as an agent through observation and communication to obtain pertinent information for the physician to aid in the diagnosis and treatment management of the patient.
- Assess physician orders and correlate with consult request.
- Select appropriate materials and equipment for designated examination.
- Instruct patient on motion and breathing techniques.
- Properly identify all films relative to name and anatomic positioning.
- Performs proper darkroom technique and develops images.
- Responsible for exposure and positioning quality assurance of film images.
- May need to improvise the standard of procedures and deviate form "normal" to develop new and better techniques, using one's own discretion while receiving approval of the radiologist.
- Responsible for setup and sterile tray preparation including procedure specific needs, medications, guide wires, catheters, and other ancillary equipment.
- Provides evidence of continuing education.
- Responsible for instruction and clinical supervision of students enrolled in an approved ultrasound program.
- Demonstrate proficiency in gathering data, assessing, and responding to the patient's cognitive, psychomotor, physiological, psychological, and emotional needs/condition as is appropriate to the ages of patients served
- Maintain a working knowledge to all patient care areas and their location
- Adhere to operational protocols in various patient care areas.
- Perform introduction and proper patient identification through appropriate means.
- Evaluate patient's overall condition.
- Responsible for assisting patients to and from examination suite.
- Responsible for evaluation and reporting of potential hazards that may jeopardize the safety of patients and personnel.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited program in Ultrasound or College-based two year training program with clinical education in accredited health care setting.
- Technical competency in/Small Parts scanning
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- ARDMS certification within 12 months of hire
- CPR-AHA Basic Life Support
- Associates degree
- Bachelors degree
- Three or more years of experience
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.